rsync checksums change randomly

Tomasz Muras nexor1984 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 11:29:52 MDT 2013

Hello,

I have a weird issue with rsync randomly marking some files as having a
different checksum (see sample outputs below - run one after another). You
would think it is some kind of corruption / io problem with the files but
it doesn't seem so - I have copied files around, changes source to
different machines, counted md5s manually 100s of times - always the same.
All files except config.php are the same (the same md5). I have tried with
and without --checksum-seed option. The same files are always affected
(randomly listed as changed or not). Do you have any idea how to debug it?
Would there be a way in rsync to show me checksums it calculated on both
ends for example?

The version on source:
$ rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.9  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2011 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

The version on a target:
rsync --version
rsync  version 3.0.7  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2009 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

tomasz at tt:/tmp$ rsync -n -i -r -l -c --checksum-seed=1 --delete ./
$SERVER:/storage/vhosts/$DOMAIN/dev/www.NEW | grep -v '<f\.\.T\.\.\.\.\.\.'
<fcsT...... config.php
<fc.T...... filter/activitynames/filter.php
<fc.T...... filter/activitynames/lang/en/filter_activitynames.php
<fc.T...... filter/algebra/AlgParser.pm
<fc.T...... filter/algebra/algebra2tex.pl
<fc.T...... filter/algebra/algebradebug.php
<fc.T...... filter/algebra/filter.php
<fc.T...... filter/algebra/pix.php
<fc.T...... filter/algebra/lang/en/filter_algebra.php
<fc.T...... filter/censor/filter.php
<fc.T...... filter/censor/filtersettings.php

tomasz at tt:/tmp$ rsync -n -i -r -l -c --checksum-seed=1 --delete ./
$SERVER:/storage/vhosts/$DOMAIN/dev/www.NEW | grep -v '<f\.\.T\.\.\.\.\.\.'
<fcsT...... config.php

cheers,
Tomek