need help with an rsync patch

Sherin A sherinmon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 21:14:21 MDT 2013

On Wednesday 28 August 2013 08:36 AM, Kevin Korb wrote:

> Only when you choose to force a completely unnecessary chown between
> the backup and restore process.
>
> On 08/27/13 23:03, Sherin A wrote:
>> On Wednesday 28 August 2013 04:14 AM, Kevin Korb wrote: My opinion
>> on backups is pretty simplistic.  If a restore of my backup doesn't
>> bring me back to what I had when I backed up then I don't have a
>> backup.
>>
>> If I have to restore something and the relationship between files
>> that were hard linked in the past is lost that might not be
>> something that I even notice immediately.  Maybe not until the file
>> is changed and now there are 2 versions of it in different places
>> since the relationship is gone.
>>
>> Either way, not backing up the hard link relationships duplicates
>> data on both the backup and on any potential restore.
>>
>> But even more importantly, the original question was about
>> excluding all files with linkcount>1 from backups.  That means that
>> any file important enough to have in more than one place would in
>> fact never be backed up at all.  That is crazy.

> This email is protected by LBackup, an open source backup solution
>>>>>

>> This is not crazy. Why a privileged user need to create multilevel
>> hard links . This issue has been approved by secunia security
>> community. Hope they will report it as a  vulnerability , because
>> this POC has been exploited successfully  and it is affected by all
>> software that  use rsync as a backup  and restore  tool.
>>
> - --
> ~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
> 	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
> 	Systems Administrator		Internet:
> 	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
> 	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
> 	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
> 	PGP public key available on web site.
Hello,

  That is right , but no one give  root ownerships for a local users
files in any situation, it must be need to chown , And no one like to
store the backups over internet under a remote  privileged ( root) users
account.  This only affect production servers, for personal users  there
is no such thret for rsync.