Fwd: Re: need help with an rsync patch

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Wed Aug 14 10:55:31 MDT 2013

As has been pointed out to you your problem is not hard links.  Your
problem is the indiscriminate use of a root operation (a chown) during
the restoration process.

You should be solving this by either:
A) backing up and restoring the original owner of the files (directly
or via --fake-super)
B) backing up each user's files and only their files.

The solution is not to refuse to backup any file that is a hard link.
 There are legitimate reasons to have hard links and ignoring them
means you aren't backing up everything.

On 08/14/13 12:37, Sherin A wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 August 2013 08:29 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:

>>> Any further  information related with this  ?
>> On what?  How to implement with --exclude?  Or how users could
>> cause files to be not backed up, making such an implementation a
>> terrible idea?
>>
>> Justin (off list)
> It won't  work with --exclude , because
>
> 1) we are   identifying all hardlinks with find command and  will
> be placed in a test file  for  a  user 2) Then we do the rsync with
> --exclude-from=somefile.txt
>
> But how we solve this timed  raced conditions as follows which
> happen in between the above to steps ,
>
> hax at hax.com [~/hax]# for i in {1..5000}; do ln -f /etc/shadow $i;
> done
>
> Still the only solution to embedded the option to avoid hardlink if
>  need .

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.