Fwd: Re: need help with an rsync patch

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Tue Aug 13 10:58:05 MDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Sherin A <sherinmon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am  doing rsync from  root at 10.0.0.10/home/foo  to
> storageuser at 10.0.0.20/home/**storageuser/dailybackup/foo<http://storageuser@10.0.0.20/home/storageuser/dailybackup/foo> over ssh (no role for -H) , so  the  storage files must be under the
> ownership of  storageuser  and not the  original owner

You should use the --fake-super option on the remote rsync so that it saves
& restores original ownership using xattrs (the manpage describes the
syntax you'd need, or there is a daemon option if an rsync daemon is
involved).  That way you get proper, original-owner restores.

PS : if any one interested in making a patch with an additional option for
> rsync for  excluding hardlinks with   -links +1 links , please help me

This is not something I'll be looking into, FYI.