Fwd: Re: need help with an rsync patch

Justin T Pryzby justinp at norchemlab.com
Tue Aug 13 10:19:29 MDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 09:43:06PM +0530, Sherin A wrote:
> If  linux user  foo , with home /home/foo  , what  ownership we need
> to give the files under his home folder  , it must be "foo" and not
> root.
Why?  The user created the hardlink themselves, and it had root
ownership, why should the backup/restore lose that information?  Are
you manually chowning the files after restore?  That's prolly also
losing timestamp information by doing that.

> After Rsync it will be as follows,
rsync -H preserves hardinks, otherwise it doesn't.

> root at cptest [~]# find /home/dom2inho/ -type f -links  +1 => He have
> hard link in home
> /home/dom2inho/shadow
> root at cptest [~]# find /backup/dom2inho  -type f -links  +1 => There
> is no  hard link in backp
> root at cptest [~]#
You should also do find /etc/ -type f -links +1.

Justin