need help with an rsync patch

Sherin A sherinmon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 02:25:50 MDT 2013

Hello Joe,

  Thanks for your reply . But  think about the real world users. There
is not always necessary the /home will be  in separate disk partition or
   /tmp , /var/tmp , /usr/tmp.  Think about an openvz vps or disk with
everything  on / (most of the cloud servers) . Rsync is  using  in a lot
of production servers as a better tool for file backups. As in the case
of a hosting server , we can't always trust all hosting users in  a
single server.  Also just ignore the shadow  and  let us say there are
two user on /home/foo and /home/fun  and the user fun created a hardlink
to /hom/foo/joomla/configuration.php  , which contains database
information of user foo's joomla site .    May be  this user created
this type hardlinks with all the folders and files inside /home . So
simply reyuesting a restore  will revert  the files into his readable
form and he can wipe out every thing.  Let me show you how a user can
create a hard link ,
----------
dom2inho at dom2.inhouse.co.in [~/public_html]# id
uid=507(dom2inho) gid=508(dom2inho) groups=508(dom2inho)
dom2inho at dom2.inhouse.co.in [~/public_html]# ll /etc/shadow
--w------- 2 root root 1344 Aug 12 14:30 /etc/shadow
dom2inho at dom2.inhouse.co.in [~/public_html]# ln /etc/shadow ./shadow
dom2inho at dom2.inhouse.co.in [~/public_html]# ll shadow
--w------- 3 root root 1344 Aug 12 14:30 shadow
dom2inho at dom2.inhouse.co.in [~/public_html]#
--------

   The issue is  hardlinks can't create across files system , but with
rsync we can copy  it to a remote folder  and change ownership.  If we
restore it with rsync from that remove location to back to  his home ,
then it will be a regular file instead of his original hard link .
  So my humble request is , if rsync have an option to exclude hard
link, it will be a good feature. may be something as follows,

--------------
include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
     struct stat sb;

    if (argc != 2) {
         fprintf(stderr, "Usage: %s <pathname>\n", argv[0]);
         exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
     }

    if (stat(argv[1], &sb) == -1) {
         perror("stat");
         exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
     }

    printf("File type:                ");

    switch (sb.st_mode & S_IFMT) {
     case S_IFREG:  printf("regular file\n");
             if(sb.st_nlink >1){printf("This file is hardlink:   %s\n",
argv[0] );}    // Detecting hard link only for files
         break;
     default:       printf("unknown?\n");                break;
     }

    exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

Thanks for your reply Joe and  paul.