Direction (rsync manpage) (2)

Plato platoxw at wishmail.net
Thu Apr 18 02:45:00 MDT 2013

Hello Kevin, Matthias, All

Maybe it is an idea that someone updates the manpage in this matter. I presume I am not the only one who is confused. Thanks.

I wrote
"
In the rsync manpage I read:
	A < means that a file is being transferred to the remote host (sent).
and
	A > means that a file is being transferred to the local host (received).
In my experience it is just the other way around:
 A ">" means form source, the local host, to destination, the remote host. Also being transferred to the remote host / ohter harddisk / destination field DEST or am I missing something?
"

Kevin wrote:
"
I guess the origin lies in daemon-mode, there the transfer direction
can be different in different calls.

That would also explain why the symbols are "switched", the transfer
direction fromt he view of the server-side is the exact opposite of the
client-side.
"

Matthias wrote:
"
I hate to say it but I agree with you to an extent. Since rsync
doesn't upload and download it is ridiculous to differentiate between
the two.  Also, since rsync allows either the source or target to be
remote it could be doing either uploading or downloading but will
never do both.

Therefore rsync should never output both a > and a < within the same
outpout.  Therefore, it is really using a symbol for "I transmitted a
file".  The fact that it uses an arrow-looking symbol for that is not
really important.  The fact that it can use 2 different chars for that
notation is also not really relevant since it would never use both of
them in the same session.

So, The < and > chars mean "I uploaded" or "I downloaded" but if you
replaced them both with the same "I transferred" char the output
wouldn't change much.
"
--
Regards,