I found a buggie

Matthias Schniedermeyer ms at citd.de
Thu Sep 27 01:48:03 MDT 2012

On 26.09.2012 23:45, Carlos Morel Gómez La Roque wrote:
> Hello, people. Sorry but I found that when you do rsync to a not created
> destination it makes a mkdir in order to accomplish the work. The problem
> comes when there are some uncreated parents in the destination directories.
> That's just because in the builtin mkdir isn't specified the -p option.
> Thus, the problem is solved just adding the -p option to the built in mkdir
> in the code you wrote.

As far as i remember this same topic came up a few years ago.

In short: That's intentional and not a bug.

Otherwise it's too easy to rsync to an unintended destination when you
fat-fingered the destination.

And it would be a deviation from established behaviour and only
acceptable with an explicit command-line-option so that the
default-behaviour of rsync would be unchanged.

Bis denn