collecting the differences between a local host and remote archive to third local location (a usb device)

Benjamin Ward ben at forward.net.au
Thu Sep 27 01:33:32 MDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to archive to a remote host but the size of the data to copy is prohibitively large to consider doing the sync over the wire (it's TBs of raw video), so i was wondering if it was possible to use a usb attached storage device as the transport medium.

Is it possible for rsync to compare the two systems (over the network) finding any newer or different files on the local system as compared to the remote archive (ignoring local deletes), then copy only those new/differences to a locally attached portable drive so that the portable drive can be physically taken across town to the other system, plugged in and then the new data be ingested so that a subsequent rsync between the the two systems would see those files as synchronised?

I thought the --compare-dest option might be the way to go, as per this post:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2006-June/015827.html

but it seems to not behave the way i thought it would.

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I'm asking a bleeding obvious question. :)

Kind regards,
Ben