Problem rsyncing 450GB file to my NAS: 'connection unexpectedly closed'

rsyncml.frucade at spamgourmet.com rsyncml.frucade at spamgourmet.com
Fri Oct 12 13:36:00 MDT 2012

Wow: Thanks for your fast responses, Justin and Karl!

Yet the NAS is still located in my home network. So the network
connection shouldn't be the problem.

The pointer to the --inplace argument was really helpful. This is what I
really wanted in this particular use case.

I also tried to enabled file logging on the target NAS:
2012/10/12 18:48:17 [6390] rsync error: timeout in data send/receive
(code 30) at io.c(137) [receiver=3.0.7]

Oha! But the rsyncd.conf on the NAS did not contain a timeout entry?! I
also stumbled over an RLimitRate entry not listed in the rsyncd man.
Maybe this rsyncd is a patched by QNap and timeout no longer defaults to 0?

So I added "timeout = 0" and started a new run with --inplace and -vvvv:
Until now its still running fine!

I'll report back when it finishes....
So long - thanks for the quick and helpful pointers!

- Ben