Maximum number of entries in a filter file

Steven Levine steve53 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 12 11:50:31 MDT 2012

In <180601cda863$495c0b10$dc142130$@juno.co.uk>, on 10/12/12
   at 11:21 AM, "Ben Yarwood" <ben.yarwood at juno.co.uk> said:

Hi,

>I have noticed that the .rsync-exclude file does not seem to be
>processed. I see no errors related to this in the output but believe it
>is because it contains over 120,000 entries and is maybe exceeding some
>internal 16bit limit in rsync of the number of entries that can be in a
>filter file.

It's possible, but unlikely.  On a 32-bit platform, integers are going to
be 32-bit numbers and rsync uses these for the vast majority of the code.

I would suspect the format of the exclude patterns.  Perhaps they are not
relative to the source path.

If there is a limit other than available memory, it is unintentional.

>rsync  version 3.0.6  protocol version 30
>Copyright (C) 1996-2009 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.

This build is a bit old, but I don't recall any issues with merge
patterns.

Regards,

Steven