collecting the differences between a local host and remote archive to third local location (a usb device)

Linda Walsh rsync at tlinx.org
Thu Oct 11 14:01:45 MDT 2012

Benjamin Ward wrote:

> but it seems to not behave the way i thought it would.

How did you think it would work?

I use it  and will describe what it does w/my example:

I'm using: (according to ps)

/usr/bin/rsync --archive --human-readable --acls --xattrs --hard-links
--no-inc-recursive --prune-empty-dirs --whole-file --one-file-system
--compare-dest=/home/. --exclude=**/.recycle/**
--exclude=CPAN-ishtar-build-cache/** /home/.snapdir/@GMT-2012.10.11-02.23.25/.
/home.diff/

This takes yesturdays snapshot and compares it to today file system
(compare-dest=/home) and puts the differences (the files
I would need to bring "dest" "up to date", onto /home.diff (or your usb drive)...

Since I'm running the above on a single machine there is no network so I use
whole-file and no-inc-recursive.

Is that what you were wanting?   Sometimes it's a matter of figuring out, in to
which slot, each of the compared
items go into...