delete-during and I/O errors

Gareth Babb hick.rsync at gink.org
Sat Nov 24 03:56:23 MST 2012

I've implemented a backups system and have come across a problem with
delete-during and I/O errors.

Currently I use a wrapper round rsync to create a LVM snapshot and rsync
the snapshot, this works except that when the snapshot threshhold is
exceeded LVM removes the snapshop, the mount fails and I/O errors happen.

This is ok, except with delete-during I'm getting instances of rsync
thinking the files are deleted (though it does know I/O errors are
happening and reports them), and thus deleting them on the receiver side.
This is not good.

I've resorted to delete-after (which happily refuses to delete as I/O
errors have taken place), but does anyone have any clues for fixing this
with delete-during ?

I'm using 3.0.8, but I can't see anything relevant in the changes for
3.0.9.