Rsync --update copy one file multiples times

Francis.Montagnac at inria.fr Francis.Montagnac at inria.fr
Wed Nov 21 07:58:44 MST 2012

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:32:17 +0100 kamleshverma wrote:

> Yes, Drive showing full. actually I created LVM for backup..

I don't know LVM well, but if you use it to keep snapshots of your
volume that explain your problem. At worsed, ie: if every files have
changed between two runs, you will need twice the space on your
destination volume, because rsync by default (ie: without --inplace)
create first a temporary copy for a file, then rename it to the real
name of the file.

I suggest again to use the --inplace option of rsync.

    Francis