Rsync --update copy one file multiples times

Francis.Montagnac at inria.fr Francis.Montagnac at inria.fr
Wed Nov 21 04:53:32 MST 2012

Hi.

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:41:48 +0100 kamleshverma wrote:

> In mail server /mail_home folder having all user's mailbox and size of
> mail_home is 345 GB and in backup server I have assign 450 GB for
> mail_backup drive.

That lets 105 GB of free space for the temporary copy done by default
for each file.

> ... but when crontab run second time in backup server the
> Mail_backup drive showing full.

I suspect there exist a file (a mail folder in your case) of size
greater than 105 GB. That seems huge however for a mail folder.

Try to add the --inplace option to your rsync command. This option is
appropriate for backing up mail folders (as far as I know).

> after that I run script on backup server and mail server which show
> all folder size and compare with both results. in both server each
> folders size is same.

This is weird: if the filesystem became full during the second rsync,
rsync should have failed.

Are you sure the filesystem became full?

    Francis