Invoking rsync from a script with null parameters

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Mon Nov 5 09:48:15 MST 2012

Well, I am thinking that this is actually expected behavior that I had
just never seen before.  Even cat and ls duplicate this behavior.

On 11/05/12 11:46, Joe wrote:

> Thanks for duplicating this.  Even though it's a very small issue,
> it would be good to fix it (make it an error) because this almost
> invisible scripting error can lead to very unpredictable results
> just depending on the current working directory which shouldn't
> have any impact at all unless it is explicitly referenced in the
> parameters.
>
> Your approach gets all the substitutions done before rsync gets to
> see it, so "sometimes a blank is really just a blank" ;)   . Joe
>
> On 11/05/2012 11:06 AM, Kevin Korb wrote:
>> Very interesting. It does appear to take '' or "" as if it were
>> "./" in fact it appears to tale " " or ' ' as "./ " which throws
>> an error.
>
>> I think the reason I haven't seen this before is that I always
>> built up a $RSYNC_PARAMS variable and passed that to rsync. That
>> variable always had some params in it just they weren't always
>> the same.
>
>> On 11/05/12 02:39, Joe wrote:
>
>>> No. I traced the heck out of it (bash -vx ...) and I was
>>> actually sending a null parameter as the first argument to
>>> rsync and that made it get out of bed on the wrong side.
>
>>> Here are some more details as to what happened:
>

> http://askubuntu.com/questions/112717/rsync-copies-files-from-working-directory-in-addition-to-the-requested-ones/113431
>

>>> Essentially, rsync worked, but additionally processed all the
>>> files in the current working directory when that wasn't
>>> expressly requested. Since null parameters are almost totally
>>> invisible, it took awhile to find.
>
>>> Sorry I didn't include more details in my original post.
>
>>> On the bright side, this is what caused me to join this list.
>>> I've learned a lot - mostly by lurking.
>
>>> Thanks. Joe

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.