Help debugging an issue with --fuzzy --fuzzy and --link-dest

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Thu Mar 22 10:15:07 MDT 2012

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:23:13 +0000, Andrew Gideon wrote:

> Assuming my expectation is correct, and that --fuzzy should have an
> effect in this case, I'm wondering how best to test what's occurring.
> I've tried using --itemize-changes in a --dry-run, but all it tells me
> is ">f.st......" which is what I'd expect if the proper basis file
> weren't found.  But it isn't helping me understand why it isn't found.

I thought to try renaming one of the files on the destination.  I changed
"ads_live_access.log" to "HOLD.ads_live_error.log.9.gz".

This had the effect of changing:

	f.st...... ads_live_error.log.9.gz

	f+++++++++  ads_live_error.log.9.gz

If I am interpreting this correctly, then even with the lack of a file
named ads_live_error.log.9.gz on the destination side, no "fuzzy" file is
being sought (or at least found).  Instead, ads_live_error.log.9.gz is
simply to be (re)copied.

Note that the source ads_live_error.log.9.gz would not match the
destination "HOLD.ads_live_error.log.9.gz".  Instead, it should have
matched the destination ads_live_error.log.10.gz.  I mention this in case
that plays a role in this "failure".

Thanks...Andrew