kerberos authentication

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 05:58:35 MDT 2012

hi,

Is it possible to use an existing kerberos infrastructure (without ssh
overhead) for rsync authentication?

I found this rsync patch: http://jrds.fr/rsynck but have no idea whether
this has been committed upstream or if there are any plans to do it in the
future. It would be nice to have something like this.

Another question: can I use dns srv records to locate rsyncd servers. I
mean, yes, I can create srv records pointing to servers, but right now I
get this error:

The srv record exists:
$ dig -t srv _rsyncd._tcp.home.nx +short
10 1 873 server.home.nx.

When using the A record, it works fine:
$ rsync server.home.nx::
sharename         sharecomment

When using the SRV record, getaddrinfo error:
$ rsync _rsyncd._tcp.home.nx::
rsync: getaddrinfo: _rsyncd._tcp.home.nx 873: No address associated with
hostname
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(122)
[Receiver=3.0.7]

TIA,