Time rsYnc Machine (tym)

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Fri Jul 27 14:29:48 MDT 2012

Note that this stuff is a lot easier if you pull your backups rather
than pushing them.  That way your making of directories and symlinks
and deleting of old backups are all done locally.

On 07/27/12 16:04, josephj at main.nc.us wrote:
> Thanks so much.  I'm going to try it out.  It looks like all I need
> to do is add something (manual or script) to delete the oldest
> versions periodically.
>
> Joe
>
>> Joe,
>>
>> Your desires are orders :-)
>>
>> ... a proper (small) man page
>>
>> http://dragoman.org/tym
>>
>> Regards Tomas
>>
>> On 26 Jul 2012, at 21:42, josephj at main.nc.us wrote:
>>
>>> No good deed goes unpunished ;)
>>>
>>> Very nicely coded script, but it's a bit dense.  I'm good at
>>> bash and can survive in rsync, but could you provide a
>>> description of what it actually does so I don't have to spend a
>>> long time analysing the code?
>>>
>>> Does it keep multiple versions like the name implies?
>>>
>>> Will it survive directory names with embedded blanks (in the
>>> parameters)? At first glance, this looks like a problem, but I
>>> may have missed something.
>>>
>>> Why trap so many signals?  If something goes wrong, do I have
>>> to kill -9 to stop it? Does one of those keep it running when
>>> you logoff?  I don't see a nohup in the script.
>>>
>>> I've seen some methods that use hard links to make subsequent
>>> backups smaller.  I haven't quite figured out how that works,
>>> but it doesn't look like you use it.
>>>
>>> What does your script do if the destination runs out of space
>>> or isn't mounted?
>>>
>>> TIA Joe

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.