Time rsYnc Machine (tym)

josephj at main.nc.us josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Jul 26 13:42:02 MDT 2012

No good deed goes unpunished ;)

Very nicely coded script, but it's a bit dense.  I'm good at bash and can
survive in rsync, but could you provide a description of what it actually
does so I don't have to spend a long time analysing the code?

Does it keep multiple versions like the name implies?

Will it survive directory names with embedded blanks (in the parameters)?
At first glance, this looks like a problem, but I may have missed
something.

Why trap so many signals?  If something goes wrong, do I have to kill -9
to stop it?
Does one of those keep it running when you logoff?  I don't see a nohup in
the script.

I've seen some methods that use hard links to make subsequent backups
smaller.  I haven't quite figured out how that works, but it doesn't look
like you use it.

What does your script do if the destination runs out of space or isn't
mounted?

TIA
Joe