disable interpretation of trailing slash

John J Foerch jjfoerch at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 7 19:40:51 MST 2012

Hello,

This is a feature request for a command-line option to disable special
interpretation of trailing slashes on source directories.  I have been
using rsync for a couple of years now (what an awesome program!) and the
meaning of the trailing slash on a source is always the one aspect of
its syntax that slows me down and makes me check and re-check the manual
to ensure that I have remembered its behavior correctly.  The likelihood
of making a mistake with a trailing slash is compounded by the fact that
shell completion (e.g. in bash) puts it there by default, and it was
this very behavior that caused me to be a little too carefree last week
and mess up a large backup.  While the trailing slash is a powerful and
useful feature, it also strikes me as risky to have so much power built
into a single character of syntax, especially a character which usually
has no special meaning in other programs.  Others I have chatted with on
this topic shared the same view.  My feature request then, is for a
command line switch to disable the special interpretation of the
trailing slash on sources.  A short option would be preferred.  My
reasoning is that it is easier to remember to always use a particular
option, except in situations requiring more nuance, than it is to
remember the special rule and to always check the syntax of the sources.

Thank you for your time.

--
John Foerch