Rsyncing huge file, timeout on rsyncd

Paul Slootman paul+rsync at wurtel.net
Thu Aug 2 06:20:19 MDT 2012

On Thu 02 Aug 2012, Libor Klepáč wrote:

> Ok, i'l try setting timeout, but according to documentation, default is
> timeout=0 which means no timeout.

IIRC setting the timeout explicitly on both ends (if you're using an
rsync daemon) to the same value will cause some sort of heartbeat
activity. Note also that an inferior firewall may also "forget" the
connection if there is no traffic for a longer period of time.

> Maybe setting --contimeout to some large value should help?

No, I'm quite sure that has nothing to do with this; you _had_ a
connection, which timed out. --contimeout is for the timeout for making
the initial connection.

Paul