Rsyncing huge file, timeout on rsyncd

Libor Klepáč libor.klepac at bcom.cz
Thu Aug 2 04:26:13 MDT 2012

Hello,
let me describe my setup.
Source server is debian wheezy, rsync 3.0.9
Destination is qnap TS-410, with rsyncd enabled, rsync 3.0.7

I'm trying to rsync two files, which are exported from source server as iscsi
targets (windows iscsi backups). Files are on btrfs, so I use snapshots during
rsync, so files don't change.
One file is 50GB, second is 550GB in size.

Initial sync over rsyncd daemon went fine.
Now, i'm trying to sync data, after change.

When i try to sync over rsyncd, it ends after 20 minutes with:

rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (2438836 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(605)
[sender=3.0.9]

When i try to rsync over ssh, it takes ages to show progress status (around 1
hour for smaller file, 4-5 hours for big file).
Whats going out there?
Source server is idle during this "no progress" period, destination Qnap has
one rsync process eating cpu.

My commands are (example with one file)
for rsyncd
rsync --inplace --progress --numeric-ids --times --password-file .passwd
iscsi/iscsiDisk1 rsync://backup-rsync@192.168.5.250:/iSCSI-backup/iscsiDisk1

for ssh
rsync --inplace --progress --numeric-ids --times iscsi/iscsiDisk1
admin at 192.168.5.250:/share/MD0_DATA/iSCSI-backup/iscsiDisk1

With regards
Libor Klepac