backup to NTFS USB disk

joop g jjge at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 12 03:20:54 MDT 2012

Hello, *

I am setting up a backup on a Linux system with Windows XP workstations. The
backup goes to three alternating usb drives, each of which is NTFS formatted.
The disks should be virtually identical but they do not seem to be.

First, my mount command is this (I edited a bit for brevity)

mount -t ntfs-3g -o locale=nl_NL.iso-8859-1,silent /dev/disk/by-id/usb-DiskA \
/mnt/tmp ||
mount -t ntfs-3g -o locale=nl_NL.iso-9959-1,silent /dev/disk/by-id/usb-DiskB \
/mnt/tmp ||
mount -t ntfs-3g -o locale=nl_NL.iso-9959-1,silent /dev/disk/by-id/usb-DiskC \
/mnt/tmp
if [ $? -eq 0 ]
then
<backup starts>

So, it first attempts to mount diskA; if that fails, it tries diskB, and so on.

DiskA has been running for a week without any problems or messages. Now I try
to mount diskB, and I get:

ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume '/dev/disk/by-id/usb-DiskA': No such file or
directory
Please type '/sbin/mount.ntfs-3g --help' for more information.
WARNING: Couldn't set locale to 'nl_NL.iso-9959-1' thus some file names may not
         be correct or visible. Please see the potential solution at
         http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#locale
LiMu Backup Disk B

The first message is, of course, correct, because diskA is now no longer
present. The second mount, of diskB, succeeds. Now pops up a warning, and I am
not sure if it belongs to the absent diskA or to the present diskB. But
apparently the latter is the case, because I get hundreds of messages like
this:

rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/mnt/tmp/backup/museum/adlib/adlib
documenten voor/catalogus objecten in eigen bezit/artikelen, algemeen/8467
wehrpa\#303\#237.doc": Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character (84)
rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat
"/mnt/tmp/backup/museum/documenten/bestuur/archief, niet
geschoond/publiciteit/idee\#343\#253n website.doc": Invalid or incomplete
multibyte or wide character (84)

(I tried the link mentioned in the warning, bit it led me to www.tuxera.com,
and does not seem relevant)

Now I have two questions:
1) why does DiskA (NTFS) accept this mount, while DiskB (NTFS) doesn't?
2) what is wrong with a file name like "ideeën website.doc", which is generated
on an XT system, is written to an NTFS file system by SAMBA, and then refused
on copying to another NTFS file system?

--
joop gerritse
Mühlenstraße 11