Rsync to a Remote NAS

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Wed Apr 11 17:04:44 MDT 2012

Rsync doesn't run over ftp anymore than it runs over smb.
Those two URLs are discussions about alternatives to rsync.

Of course if you fuse mount an ftp server then rsync could run on it
but then you could do that with cifs too.

The big difference is that rsync's delta transfer system relies on
rsync running on both systems and communicating over the network.
That way the two rsync processes can hash the file data on both ends
and only transmit the hashes to determine what parts of the file are
different and then only transmit those parts.  If you use any other
networking method (like a network mount) then rsync forces
- --whole-file as not doing so would completely invert the performance
benefits of a delta transfer.

The best these ftp and network mount methods can do is to skip files
that have the same timestamp and size.  Files that appear to be
different still have to be transferred completely.  There are plenty
of tools out there that do that.  The benefit of rsync is that it can
transmit only the parts of a file that have changed.

On 04/11/12 18:56, josephj at main.nc.us wrote:
> Another option (that I'm looking into,but haven't tried) is to do
> rsync over ftp. Many NASs support ftp, so that may work for you.
>
> See:
> http://serverfault.com/questions/24622/how-to-use-rsync-over-ftp
> http://fixunix.com/debian/129298-website-backups-using-rsync-via-ftp.html
>
>  Joe
>
> Using either rsync over ssh or rsyncd which is what I said in my
> original reply.  But unfortunately few NAS appliances support
> those.

>> -- Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the
>> mailing list. To unsubscribe or change options:
>> read: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

- --
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853
	Systems Administrator		Internet:
	FutureQuest, Inc.		Kevin at FutureQuest.net  (work)
	Orlando, Florida		kmk at sanitarium.net (personal)
	Web page:			http://www.sanitarium.net/
	PGP public key available on web site.