Rsync to a Remote NAS

Chris Arnold carnold at electrichendrix.com
Wed Apr 11 15:31:01 MDT 2012

Forgive me if this has been addressed here before. We have a remote office that we need to backup to our NAS. We have a site to site certificate VPN. The remote site has over 51gb that needs to be backed up to our NAS over that VPN. I have tried this command:
rsync --verbose --progress --stats --compress --recursive --times --perms --links --delete /Share/* / smb://192.168.123.6/Backup/EdensLandCorp

and it just sits there and appears to do nothing. Does rsync make a tarball first and then put it where it is told to put it or does it just copy the files/folders over? Maybe it is the smb://xx.xx.xx.xx/whatever that is breaking it......the bottom line is i need to copy/rsync a directory to a remote server through a VPN. How is this accomplished?