Using rsync to synchronize

Steven Levine steve53 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 4 20:00:15 MDT 2012

In <4F7CF7E1.5070902 at sohnen-moe.com>, on 04/04/12
   at 06:39 PM, James Moe <jimoe at sohnen-moe.com> said:

Hi James,

Please reply to the list so that others may participate.

>  Neither, or both, of those options seem to meet my requirement.
>  --existing, "skip creating new files on receiver", appears to be
>counterproductive for synchronizing.

As I said, it depends on how you define synchronize.  There are times when
I need to bring the existing files into sync while not adding any new
files.  This is where --existing is useful.  The result is the files are
synchronized, although the resulting file sets might not be identical.

>  But I still see no way to update the sender's files if the receiver's
>files are newer. Would I have to run another rsync session with the
>sender and receiver reversed?

Yes.  I neglected to mention it because I considered it obvious.  Sorry
about that.  Rsync is basically a very smart copy command.  Rsync can be
made act like a move command with the --remove-source-files, but this a
special case.   BTW, don't forget to drop the --delete from the command
lines.

Regards,

Steven