An alternative behavior for symlink

Greg Deback (rsync) greg.deb+rsync at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 04:11:48 MDT 2012

Hello All,

I've been googling a lot but I can't find any suitable solution or
advice, so I'm asking you.
I'm trying do find a way to sync two distant folders containing
symlinks pointing to files outside the synced folders BUT with
different target names.

Here is an example:
./dir1: (source)
 file --> ../data/file
./dir2: (destination)
 file --> ../share/other_file

The goal would be to update 'share/other_file' with the contents of
'data/file', without modifying the existing 'dir2/file' symlink. I
couldn't find any combination of option (--copy-unsafe-links, -l, -L,
etc.): either 'dir2/file' symlink is deleted and replaced with a real
file, or 'dir2/file' is replaced by a symlink pointing to
'../data/file'... that doesn't exist in destination tree.

I would really appreciate if anyone had any idea to solve this case.

Thanks,
Greg (Paris)