Rsync goes chokes on this file, can the developers look into it?

Benjamin R. Haskell rsync at benizi.com
Fri Sep 23 05:40:35 MDT 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Frank Church wrote:

> I posted a message to the list earlier about rsync's problem with a
> file, - here is a link
> to the post.-
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.network.rsync.general/24044
>
> I have been trying to backup some files which rsync and it always
> chokes on this file.
>
> It simple halts with a non intuitive error message.

One man's non intuitive error message is another man's full story of
what went wrong.

> rsync --version produces this info :
>
> rsync  version 3.0.4  protocol version 30
>
> It is the same on boths sides of the llink
>
> Can it be tested in some way?
>
> Is there some process for getting the rsync developers to check it?
>
> Here is a link to the file: http://lz.rca2.net/colinux-0.7.5.exe

It's very unlikely that the problem is with the file's contents.  It's
much more likely a problem with permissions or differing options between
filesystems.  Please send the error message to the list.

I don't have 3.0.4 anywhere, but that file transferred perfectly fine to
and from pairs of machines running 3.0.{6, 7, and 8}.

--
Best,
Ben