rsync client/server mode performance

jmlapointe jmlapointe at profweb.qc.ca
Fri Sep 2 07:22:08 MDT 2011

Hi all,

Using rsync and rsyncd between 2 servers and transfering large files
over a 10Gbit fiber ethernet connection, what is the maximum speed of
rsync?

Is there some king of throttling in rsync when used in client/server mode?

I'm transfering files that are over 100GB each and I'm getting speeds of
around 185MB/s.

But both my connexion and my RAID arrays are much faster than that.

Is there something going on with rsync that slows speed down and that
I'm not aware of?

I'm using this command for the transfer: rsync -a --bwlimit=0 --stats
--progress [IP]::[source] [destination]

Thanx!