With rsync --link-dest, how can you tell how much space is actually used?

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sat Oct 22 21:32:59 MDT 2011

On 10/22/2011 12:32 PM, Kevin Korb wrote:
> 2.  I wanted to know what files were unique to a backup and therefore
> consuming disk space and why they were different.

Which begs another question that I've struggled a bit with lately.

I've considered making a series of snapshots by using --link-dest, and
moving(/copying) the backup directory prior to (in between) each run.
Once that's done, and there are several snapshots and thus files with
link counts of up to the number of snapshots, how can I tell how much
space is being used by all of the snapshots (and current backup) put
together, counting each file only once. du doesn't appear to cut it. ;)

I think I have a solution, but am curious to know what others may think
of the problem.

--
-Eric 'shubes'