With rsync --link-dest, is it possible to determine which files are new?

Andrew Gideon c182driver1 at gideon.org
Sat Oct 22 08:12:08 MDT 2011

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 12:10:09 -0400, Kevin Korb wrote:

> If you want something you can run after the fact here is a tool I wrote
> a while back that does a sort of diff across 2 --link-dest based
> backups:
> http://sanitarium.net/unix_stuff/rspaghetti_backup/diff_backup.pl.txt It
> will also tell you what files were not included in the newer backup
> which --itemize-changes will not since it doesn't actually --delete
> anything.

I like how comprehensive this is, but wouldn't it - by definition of what
it means to have a new file in the new directory tree - always report a
modified file as having a different inode?

That takes me a "quick and dirty" solution for this.  Simply do a find
looking for files with a -links (link count) of 1 to see what files are
newly copied in the newer directory tree.

	- Andrew