handling of final partial block in rsync

Peter A. Friend pafriend at octavian.org
Fri Oct 21 20:28:17 MDT 2011

Greetings,

I have been using the rsync C source as a guide for porting the rsync
algorithm to Java. This has been successful, but there is one low level
detail I am having some issues with.

Assuming the default block size of 700 bytes, when stepping through the
file and generating checksums for each block it is very likely that
there will be a partial block at the end of the file. Right now I am
just generating a checksum for that block and including it in the
signature. There will end up being a match for this block if the source
file has the same partial block at the very end of the file, but it
won't match anywhere else in the file. If I don't generate a checksum
for the partial block then it will never match even when present at the
end of the source file, which increases the size of the patch file.

I've read the thesis and the source again, and it looks like rsync is
generating a signature on the final partial block. Would someone be able
to confirm this, and is rsync handling this as I describe?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter