Estimating backup usage with dir-merge filter

Benjamin R. Haskell rsync at benizi.com
Thu Oct 6 14:40:33 MDT 2011

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011, Wayne Davison wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
>
>> use your rsync command with '--list-only', and post-process that list.
>
> Even easier, just make a note of the verbose output from the copy (get
> better stats via --stats with or w/o --verbose).  Or, if you need a
> special run, --dry-run (-n) will tell you the file-size totals w/o
> transferring anything.

Depends on what stats are needed.  If you just need total bytes, yeah,
that's easier.  My example didn't do it, but it sounded like Paul wanted
some kind of per-user statistics.  Important bits, if you need more
granularity:

First column is an `ls -l` style mode display (first character = 'd' for
dirs, '-' for normal files, etc.)

Second column is the size in bytes.

Third is date.

Fourth is time.

Fifth-through-rest is the path relative to the transfer root.  (Spaces
aren't escaped, but other special chars are listed as \#NNN where N's
are octal digits), .

--
Best,
Ben