Estimating backup usage with dir-merge filter

Paul Dugas paul at dugasenterprises.com
Wed Oct 5 10:57:10 MDT 2011

I use --filter='dir-merge .backup-filter" to allow my users to
designate portions of their home directories that should be excluded
from my rsync-based backup system.  I'm looking for a way to
periodically generate a report that shows the amount of backup space
being used by each user.  I've tinkered with writing my own script
that processes any filter files into --exclude parameters for "du" but
recently, I've been wondering if there's an easier way that would use
rsync itself, the --filter argument, and --dry-run.  Anyone ever run
into something like this?