--compress data-duplication bug?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Mon Nov 28 22:18:02 MST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 15:51 +1100, Chris Dunlop wrote:
> I just noticed this commit for 3.1:
>
> ---
> commit cbdff74b44b25ce713739b9c1fb4db67610c675e
> Author: Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org>
> Date:   Mon Nov 21 09:13:11 2011 -0800
>
>     Fix --compress data-duplication bug.
> ---
>
> Is there some reference as to what that is actually fixing, e.g. bug number?
>
> Specifically, I'm wondering if this bug might have caused any corruption in
> existing data sets.

Looks like the bug affected the way in which matched data was entered
into the compression history when the block size is greater than 64 KB.
It would have caused suboptimal compression during the transfer, but not
corruption.  Corruption would be detected by the post-transfer checksum
anyway.

--
Matt