Replacing rsync on OSX servers.

Henri Shustak henri.shustak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 20:43:51 MST 2011

> Having built and tested 3.0.7 and ready to send it out into production, can anybody point me to 'best practices' for updating the binary and man pages and other issues around upgrading from the dodgy v2.6.9 that ships with late-10.4-thru-10.7?

You could use /usr/local/bin as the install location for the rsync binary and then update your environment variable accordingly. This is just one possible approach.

> Not having replaced an OSX tool in the past, I've got no idea if Apple is prone to update these utils, or just 'fix' what I've done automatically during routine checks and system upgrades. Any experiences would be appreciated.

If you replace the binary then it is possible that an Apple would overwrite your files.

Despite this message not directly answering your questions, hopefully you find some of the information I have provided useful / informative.