using iconv - how?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Nov 14 05:28:27 MST 2011

I am trying to use iconv to copy files from a UTF-8 machine to a iso8859
machine.  The target is an embedded box with no UTF-8 support.

I've tried both --iconv=utf-8,iso88591 and --iconv=. and the result is
the same:

[sender] cannot convert filename: Chris Botti _ Michael Bubl\#351
(Invalid argument)
[sender] cannot convert filename: Stan Getz/Ballads and Bossa Nova/\#311
Preciso Perdoar.mp3 (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character)
[sender] cannot convert filename: Stan Getz/Compact Jazz/So Dan\#347o
Samba (I Only Dance S.mp3 (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide
character)
[receiver] cannot convert filename: Unknown Artist/Unknown
Album/\#345\#265\#220- Believe (PV).mp3 (Invalid or incomplete multibyte
or wide character)
[generator] cannot convert filename: Unknown Artist/Unknown
Album/\#345\#265\#220- Believe (PV).mp3 (Invalid or incomplete multibyte
or wide character)
[receiver] cannot convert filename: Yothu Yindi/Tribal
Voice/Dj\#303\#244pana.mp3 (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide
character)
[generator] cannot convert filename: Yothu Yindi/Tribal
Voice/Dj\#303\#244pana.mp3 (Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide
character)

And the file is not copied.

Can anyone suggest where I should look?  I built rsync with iconv
support, the libraries are in place, and it's clearly trying to do
something and failing.

--
Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.
    Albert Einstein