Rsync with special characters

Philip Kimgård kimme_911 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 9 08:02:05 MST 2011

Hi,
I'm having problem using rsync from an Ubuntu server to a Windows machine using cygwin and rsync. It works whenever I have a share name that doesn't include a special character like å, ä or ö. My full command is:

"rsync -avz -e 'ssh -p specialport' user at windowsmachine:/cygdrive/c/Åtest --iconv=CP1252,utf-8 (Also tride ISO8859-1 and utf-8)"

I thought that iconv would be the solution and when I use it, it changes the Å to \#305. Still I get the message:

"rsync: link_stat "/cygdrive/c/\#305test" failed: No such file or directory (2)"

I'm not an expert at rsync in any kind of way, and I have tried to google this one for some time, so I would really appreciate some help.

Thanks
Philip