After successfull passwordless ssh login, unable to do rsync

Boniforti Flavio flavio at piramide.ch
Mon Mar 28 08:56:29 MDT 2011

Hello everybody.

I got a strange problem, which I hope to solve with your help.

I'm doing "remote backups" using rsync in an ssh tunnel. In the last
setup I realized, something is driving me crazy and I can't find *what*
the problem is.
I managed to successfully login via ssh in a "passwordless" way (by
means of RSA-keys).
After this step is done and I'm logged into the remote host, I can type:

rsync rsync://localhost

and I get the correct reply:

Dati

Whenever I type

rsync rsync://localhost/Dati

I get prompted for the user password. This shouldn't be happening, so
where do I have to look at?

This is my /etc/rsyncd.conf:

#motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
#log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log