rsync: on remote machine: --drop-cache: unknown option

will trillich will at serensoft.com
Sun Mar 13 16:52:41 MDT 2011

Okay, are we CERTAIN there's no --drop-cache option in 3.0.7? Our tech
support folks at the source-machine web host claim:

"""
The server your account is on is using standard rsync version 3.0.7. There
have been no patches or changes made to the rsyncversion and it's the same
across our shared servers. Is it possible that something changed on the
remote server?
"""

So I'm not sure what to look at next. Is there an easy way to install
version X.Y.Z of rsync on a debian system?

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:44 AM, will trillich <will at serensoft.com> wrote:
>
>> rsync: on remote machine: --drop-cache: unknown option
>>

> That is not an official rsync option, so check the patches that were
> applied.  It shouldn't send the option to the other rsync without you using
> --drop-cache, so either the patch is bogus, or you have a script and/or popt
> macro that is turning it on.
>
> ..wayne..

will trillich -- http://faq.serensoft.com/
"The truth is that many people set rules to keep
from making decisions." -- Mike Krzyzewski