maybe a Unicode problem? was Re: two bugs in rsync 3.0.6 - ampersands in filenames, double quoting required

travis+ml-rsync at subspacefield.org travis+ml-rsync at subspacefield.org
Fri Mar 11 20:00:57 MST 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 06:41:26PM -0800, travis+ml-rsync at subspacefield.org wrote:
> deleting path/to/(Something) Word Word Anotherword--Word Word.pdf
> IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
>
> I think either the -- is causing it to fail, or more likely, the next
> filename, which it didn't bother to print out, which has an ampersand
> in the name, causes it to fail.
>
> I am using SSH as a substrate, of course, and I think you guys failed
> to escape things, so the ampersand is hosing your protocol somehow.

Actually, I'm unable to replicate the error with some test files with the
exact same names.

Just to test the escaping, I tried creating this dir:

(Word) Word Word Word--Word & Word (Word Word.).ext
id&"id&
id&"id&`id`

I was expecting to find some shell-escapes, so I threw those last two in for good measure.

I was able to create and delete those filenames on the target properly.

So I didn't find the shell escape I was looking for.

This time it failed when trying to delete a file containing the word G\#303\#266del

I wonder if there's some issues with Unicode...
--
I'm not sleeping; I'm regenerating. | http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
My emails do not usually have attachments; it's a digital signature