rsync: on remote machine: --drop-cache: unknown option

will trillich will at serensoft.com
Fri Mar 11 07:44:20 MST 2011

We've been using RSYNC to back things up and it's sick nasty wicked
awesome.

Recently we migrated our receiving server to a different machine (Debian
lenny) and now we're running into this DROP-CACHE: UNKNOWN OPTION error:

sender-machine$ *rsync -Cvaz -e ssh --delete --exclude blah/ --exclude
yadda/ . user at receiver:/path/for/drop*
rsync: on remote machine: --drop-cache: unknown option
rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(1441) [server=3.0.3]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(601)
[sender=3.0.7]

sender-machine$ *rsync --version*
rsync  version 3.0.7  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2009 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 64-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, no symtimes, A2

receiver-machine$ *rsync --version*
rsync  version 3.0.3  protocol version 30
Copyright (C) 1996-2008 by Andrew Tridgell, Wayne Davison, and others.
Web site: http://rsync.samba.org/
Capabilities:
    64-bit files, 64-bit inums, 32-bit timestamps, 64-bit long ints,
    socketpairs, hardlinks, symlinks, IPv6, batchfiles, inplace,
    append, ACLs, xattrs, iconv, symtimes

The manpage for 3.0.7 (sender) talks about --drop-cache, but for 3.0.3
(receiver) it does not.

Is there a way to tell rsync to not use the 3.0.7-version-specific setting?
Or, is there an /etc/apt/sources.list entry that would get us a more modern
rsync?

--
will trillich -- http://faq.serensoft.com/
"The truth is that many people set rules to keep