rsync 3.0.6 and keep-dirlinks in daemon mode

hostalp at post.cz hostalp at post.cz
Tue Jun 28 04:38:51 MDT 2011

Hello,

I'm trying to push some data from one machine to another via rsync
source machine uses rsync 3.0.8, it's a CentOS 5.6 Linux with rsync 3.0.8 package from rpmforge
destination machine uses rsync 3.0.6, it's a Scientific Linux 6.0 with rsync 3.0.6 from its repository

destination machine is running a rsync daemon with the following configuration:
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock
socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
[data1]
        path = /data1
        comment = data1
        read only = false
        uid = ouruser
        gid = ourgrp
        hosts allow = 10.2.1.188
        timeout = 300

and from source machine I'm pushing some data like:
rsync -av --keep-dirlinks /data/hudson/ 10.2.2.74::data1

it works fine except for the --keep-dirlinks option which doesn't have any effect, so symlinks at the target machine as simply overwritten as if there was no --keep-dirlinks option at all

But when I try the same in shell mode, like:
rsync -av --keep-dirlinks /data/hudson/ 10.2.2.74:/data1

it keeps the symlinks at target location as expected.
Is there a way to achieve the same behavior against the rsync daemon? Or what am I doing wrong?

Thank you,
Peter