Unconditionally transfer files

Andre Majorel aym-2cnysr at teaser.fr
Sun Jun 19 03:06:12 MDT 2011

On 2011-06-18 16:26 -0400, Brian K. White wrote:
> On 6/18/2011 8:31 AM, Andre Majorel wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to make rsync unconditionally transfer files,
> >i.e. create them anew even if the target already exists and is
> >identical to the source ?
> >
> >rsync -I looks closer but still avoids transferring the files.
>
> -IW

Turns out -I/--ignore-times does seem to force unconditional
transfer. I thought it didn't because --checksum overrides it --
even if it precedes it on the command line. That it did was not
obvious to me from reading the man page.

> What I don't understand is why people say they don't know why you'd
> want to do that without knowing any of your context.

The application is installing executables. -a is handy but if
you ever forget --no-group --no-owner, they will be owned by
whatever user wrote or compiled them.

Thanks everyone.