rsync is coring

vincent.soosai at daimler.com vincent.soosai at daimler.com
Mon Jun 6 15:10:33 MDT 2011

We are running the following version of rsync:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     system       235216 Sep 27 2004  rsync

I ran dbx which gave me this:

[using memory image in core]
reading symbolic information ...warning: no source compiled with -g

Segmentation fault in . at 0x100236e0
0x100236e0 (???) 8c040001        lbzu   r0,0x1(r4)
(dbx)

It looks like since the program was not compiled with the -g option it is
not providing adequate debug info.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Vince

matt at mattmccutchen.net
06/02/2011 10:18 AM

vincent.soosai at daimler.com
cc
rsync at lists.samba.org
Subject
Re: rsync is coring

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 09:27 -0700, vincent.soosai at daimler.com wrote:
> We are running an rsync process every hour and it is producing a core
> file.  We thought initially there was a corrupt file but that is gone
> and the core file is still being produced.  Would appreciate any help
> in analysing the core file.

Two things you can do:

- Open the core file in a debugger and get a stack trace.

- Try to reproduce the problem on a smaller set of files or with simpler
options, etc., until you find a minimal case that fails.  This may shed
light on what is causing the problem.  If the same minimal case fails on
another machine, that is probably grounds to file a bug.

--
Matt

If you are not the intended addressee, please inform us immediately that you have received this e-mail in error, and delete it. We thank you for your cooperation.