rsync is coring

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Thu Jun 2 11:18:23 MDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-02 at 09:27 -0700, vincent.soosai at daimler.com wrote:
> We are running an rsync process every hour and it is producing a core
> file.  We thought initially there was a corrupt file but that is gone
> and the core file is still being produced.  Would appreciate any help
> in analysing the core file.

Two things you can do:

- Open the core file in a debugger and get a stack trace.

- Try to reproduce the problem on a smaller set of files or with simpler
options, etc., until you find a minimal case that fails.  This may shed
light on what is causing the problem.  If the same minimal case fails on
another machine, that is probably grounds to file a bug.

--
Matt