Feature request, or HowTo? State-full resume rsync transfer

Eberhard Moenkeberg emoenke at gwdg.de
Tue Jul 12 10:09:34 MDT 2011

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011, Donald Pearson wrote:

[very selective cited, just to lighten one aspect]

> @Eberhard:  I understand what you're trying to say, but in this environment
> the reality is rsync reaches and impasse where it is unable to get beyond
> work that has already been completed before link failure cuts it off again.

> As you can see the destination file is 6.1 Gigs in size.  The partial file
> has grown to 582 Megabytes.
> Now the network cable is pulled, and after 30 seconds both rsync client and
> servers time out.  By the way the source file is 7.5 Gigs in this scenario.

> Now you can see the original 6.1 Gig destination file is gone.  It has been
> replaced with The 583 Megabyte partial file.  If I run rsync again, rsync is
> going to have to send the entire 7 gigs remainder.  It can no longer only
> send the difference between the source and destination, because the
> destination has been destroyed.

With -b and --backup-dir you can save the deleted partial file.
Before the next rsync run, you can put the bigger of the partial files
into place.

This way you can accumulate small efforts (if the line allows to reach
them), and will never fall back behind the biggest.

Viele Gruesse
Eberhard Moenkeberg (emoenke at gwdg.de, em at kki.org)

--
Eberhard Moenkeberg
Arbeitsgruppe IT-Infrastruktur
Tel.:   +49 (0)551 201-1510            Fax:    +49 (0)551 201-2150
Geschaeftsfuehrer:         Prof. Dr. Oswald Haan und Dr. Paul Suren
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Prof. Dr. Christian Griesinger
Sitz der Gesellschaft:     Goettingen
Registergericht:           Goettingen  Handelsregister-Nr. B 598