Problem with --dry-run

Thomas rsync.samba at lueckert.com
Sat Jul 9 01:09:39 MDT 2011

Hi Gents,

I have written a backup script with rsync, which is working fine for a long
time. Now a problem has occured. which I am not able to solve by my own:

Before I am doing the backup I am checkig if there are any changes to backup

rsync  --delete $RSYNC_EXCLUDE -avzne "$RSYNC_SSH" $RSYNC_SOURCE
$RSYNC_DESTINATION

But when I have created a path of new directories in $RSYNC_SOURCE e. g.
$RSYNC_SOURCE/new_dir/new_dir/new.file then its fails with ...

skipping daemon-excluded directory "$RSYNC_SOURCE/new_dir/new_dir"
*** Skipping any contents from this failed directory ***

sent 288255 bytes  received 962 bytes  23137.36 bytes/sec
total size is 14120423141  speedup is 48822.94 (DRY RUN)
 rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors)
(code
23) at main.c(1042) [sender=3.0.7]

Now my questions ;-):

How I can prevent this "skipping daemon-excluded directory"?
Is there an other (better) way to check for changes in advance?
Or do you have any other idea (for solving my problem)?

Thanks a lot for every answer, Thomas