rsync -rcv printing out filenames when content identical

Mikolaj Kucharski mikolaj at kucharski.name
Wed Jan 26 02:57:05 MST 2011

Hi Wayne,

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 07:30:56PM -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 10:21 AM, Mikolaj Kucharski <[1]mikolaj at kucharski.name>
> wrote:
>
> $ rsync -rcv --delete backup/ mail/
>
> Unless the "backup" dir only contains files that came from inside the mail dir,
> you need to specify what source inside the backup you want to copy. Like one
> of these:
>
> rsync -rcv --del backup/mail/ mail/
>
> rsync -rcv --del backup/mail .
> In the former, the contents of the mail dir are put into the mail dir. Â In the
> latter, the mail dir is copied, along with its contents into the current dir
> (for "mail") and its subdirs.
>
> ..wayne..

That's not where the problem is. I'm alway using slash at the end of
both folders. I run always rsync -n -rcv --delete backup/ mail/ and
rsync randomly repors that Jira should be synced or not if I run this
command five times in a row in 1 second interval.

$ ls backup/ mail/
backup/:
Afolder         Deleted Items   INBOX           MBox            Sent Items
Calendar        Dfolder         Jira            Outbox          Tasks
Cfolder         Drafts          Journal         Procedures      Tickets
Contacts        Gfolder         Lfolder         Projects

mail/:
Afolder         Deleted Items   INBOX           MBox            Sent Items
Calendar        Dfolder         Jira            Outbox          Tasks
Cfolder         Drafts          Journal         Procedures      Tickets
Contacts        Gfolder         Lfolder         Projects

Also, diff -ruN -x INBOX backup/ mail/ doesn't give any output, as all
is identical in backup/ and mail/ (except INBOX like explained in my
other email).

--
best regards
q#